Monday, March 19

Happy birthday bridgey!

All the celebrations for a birthday for an inanimate object might seem a little crazy to most people, but Sydneysiders get it. They are happy to say happy 75th birthday to the harbour bridge, even if it can only give a frown in return.


The bridge means a lot to people. It is so distinctly Sydney, and many people cross it every day. It's also a symbol for struggle, progress and change... but over 75 years, it has stayed pretty much the same. And in a city where skyscrapers are constantly being built, torn down and rebuilt, and heritage suburbs are being tunnelled under to make room for new motorways, the fact that the bridge stays the same says a lot about it.
Inspired by the bridge's birthday, I headed down to Balmain East wharf last night to take a few photos. My lack of a tripod makes it difficult for night shots, so I ended up taking some rather "artistic" shots of the city at night. For me the bridge is significant because I used to work there for a while at Bridgeclimb, and because seeing the bridge reminds me of why I came to Sydney in the first place... which is sometimes easy to forget when you are stuck in traffic, choking on smog and stressed to your eyeballs. It's also pretty beautiful at day and night... for a big iron coathanger. I can't imagine Sydney without it.


Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy birthday to the bridge and thanks for your lovely comment babe!
Are you happy too?
I really hope so, you deserve to wake up with a smile in your face! :-)
Have a good day,
Fabian :-)

3/20/2007 04:22:00 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh and hon you still haven't added me on facebook! :-)
Its really cool there! XOX

3/20/2007 09:27:00 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home