Saturday, January 20

I'll WYSIWYG yo' ass!

Wow I haven't updated this blog in nearly a fortnight. How slack of me. Anyway, I haven't been up to much. Bumming around. Going to work. Enjoying the wonderful discovery of Sanitarium's Lentil Patties and my rediscovery of how easy it is to make rice paper rolls. They are very tasty.

Now I'm sick with a fever, which isn't very much fun. My ear infection is also making a triumphant return just when I thought I was truly rid of it. Great. Especially since everyone is finally back around town and hence it was looking like I would have some kind of social life... I still should be able to make it to a dinner party we are holding tonight, just not sure what I will make. Rice paper rolls anyone?

Work has been annoyingly quiet because a lot of people are away on vacation, but this week I will have to work hard to get stuff done because deadline is now close.

I can't believe I didn't share my story about the training we had to do for a new computer system they are installing at work. It was hilarious.

They bought a guy out called Ronnie from Tampa, Florida. Ronnie was a lovely guy, but a class-A geek. He told us how to get our metadata in order, but "I don't want to resort to too much geekspeak" he told us. Any time that someone would ask a question he would nod profusely and be like "Right, right, okay, let's work through that workflow right now" (You have to imagine the accent to go along with this).

Because it's an editorial system, learning how to use it involved us writing fake articles. My equally zany collegue and I took this opportunity to practise our creative writing skills. I wrote a stream of conciousness style piece on backpacking in Poland, a "what I did on my holidays" account written like a 10 year old and rewrote a children's poem I authored in high school. I also wrote a few essays on Australian Princess and the pressures facing Kate Middleton. My collegue wrote the most amazing rap/poem about her entire self being, including a shoutout to fellow vegetarians. Ronnie appreciated our creativity, and apparently was using our especially wonderful articles to demonstrate the system to our editor when she had training (with all the other editors in the company) the following week. I'm not sure if she was impressed or slightly embarassed by our handiwork.

One other fantastic feature of the system was the ability to leave notes on other people's stories, something which we also decided to play about with by using the notes system in a manner equivalent to MSN messenger. It was OK though, Ronnie was down with us because we hung with him at lunch and asked lots of questions about Tampa, Florida. And we turned the phrase WYSIWYG (What You See Is What You Get, techo term used to describe some types of software) into some sort of gangsta response. Three examples;

Gangsta 1: "Yo' biatch, yo ass is big"
Biatch 1: "WYSIWYG!"

Gangsta 2: "You my bro' yo, we got ties, respect."
Gangsta 1: "WYSIWYG bro, WYSIWYG. Keepin' it real."

Gangsta 3: "Your girl is one scary biatch, mother****er!"
Gangsta 2: "Shuddup about my bitch or I'll WYSIWYG yo' ass!"

We also thought WYSIWYG could be a slogan for post post-modern feminism. Embracing the geek-grrl and intelligence within while showing no regard for the pressures to comform to contemporary body ideals and traditional notions of femininity. WYSIWYG grrl-haters, WYSIWIG!!!!

It truly is a wonderful term.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home